Peaches

Peaches

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lessons from Rejection



Art is subjective; at least that's what I'm telling myself today. My entry, Michigan Summer, was not picked as one of the quilts to be displayed at the International Quilt Show in Chicago via "Quilting Arts Magazine". Feeling a little rejected right now, but not totally dismayed.

It was a fun quilt to do and I learned quite a bit along the way. The process of picking a subject for the theme, looking for suitable materials (remember it was a paper quilt) and the tricks to assemble the quilt was a learning process I could not have experienced unless I had tried. What is that adage " It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved" or in my case "It is better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all".

There will be more creative challenges along the way and I'm hoping that next time I will approach the subject matter with the same amount of enthusiasm as I did this time. The end result is not the lesson; it is the experience of doing.

No comments: